An edition of 300
Irene: A Burmese Icon offers a glimpse into the life of an upper-middle-class woman during the years of Myanmar’s military regime. Irene loved being photographed and had no camera shyness. To have a camera and to use it so freely was certainly not common in those days in Myanmar. Irene lived in Mandalay in the 1960s and 70s, and was an incredibly stylish woman, encompassing the essence of fashion at the time.
“When I discovered the vintage black and white images of this stylish woman from an unknown era, I was fascinated with her fashion, her look and her confidence. She always wears her hair in a neat up-do. She wears little make-up. She wears oversized sunhats and scarves. Her clothes were well fitted and chic, and she exudes elegance and poise,” says Khin Thu Thu, who wrote the introduction to this book.
- 21x15cm / 96 Pages
- English & Burmese Introduction
- Stab binding / hand made / Gold embossed
- Printed and bound in the MPA workshop in Yangon
- Edition of 300
We will aim to dispatch orders within 2-3 working days of purchase date but please be aware that we are a small team and delays can occur. We offer a single flat rate shipping option: tracked shipping with Royal Mail.
* For addresses in the UK, estimate shipping time is 2-3 business days.
* International shipping is available to all destinations. For all addresses outside the UK, estimate shipping time is 5-12 business days.
* ISHKAR is not responsible for customs duties or taxes on EU/international shipments, nor is it responsible for delays associated with the import process.
We offer free shipping for:
UK orders over £200
European orders over £250
*Extended returns policy - Orders made from December the 1st can be returned until January the 5th.*
We will be happy to offer a full refund (excluding shipping) on items returned within 14 days of receipt of delivery.
• Returned items must be unworn, unwashed and undamaged products purchased directly from ISHKAR.com.
• Proof of purchase is required.
• Photography prints are printed to order and are therefore not refundable.
• For defective, damaged or incorrect items, please notify us within five days of delivery in order to receive a refund/exchange.
• Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to organise the return.
If an item is out of stock you are able to preorder the item, so that you're first in line when it's back. Once you have preordered an item the order should be shipped to you within three months. Often the order will arrive well within this three month period. Contact email@example.com for more accurate information on when orders for this product are likely to be ready.
This book is one of the editions by Fraglich Publishing house, established by Austrian photographer and researcher Lukas Birk in 2007.
‘Fraglich’ is the German word for ‘questionable’. Fraglich produce unique books with historic content, yet they do not believe in rigid forms of history; so they even put their own books into question.