Combining contemporary design with age-old techniques, these traditional Yemeni lanterns have been designed in collaboration with artisans from the Old City of Sana’a.
The lantern’s delicate fabric creates a soft, warm glow when lit, and the geometric base and top makes interesting patterns as light filters through the brass. The lanterns are suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Diameter 17cm
- Height when folded 10cm
- Height when hanging 30cm
When not in use the lantern can be compressed from top to bottom, and easily stored. Brass can be polished using a cloth and brass polish, or a natural alternative like lemon juice and a teaspoon of baking soda.*
*Stir until it becomes a paste, apply the paste with a soft cloth. If the tarnish is heavy, let the piece sit with the paste on it for 30 minutes. Rinse with warm water and dry. Repeat if necessary.
The lanterns can be used with normal candles or electric candles. If using candles outdoors, please be cautious and avoid using in windy weather. When not in use the lantern can be compressed from top to bottom, and easily stored.
- Diameter 17cm
- Length when folded 10cm
- Length when hanging 30cm
[The lanterns can be folded & easily stored/moved around]
We offer a single flat rate shipping option: tracked shipping with Royal Mail. Orders will be dispatched in 2-3 working days.
* For addresses in the UK, tracked postage takes 2-3 business days.
* International shipping is available to all destinations. For Europe estimated delivery is 3-5 business days, and for the rest of the world 5-12 business days.
* ISHKAR is not responsible for customs duties or taxes on international shipments, nor is it responsible for delays associated with the import process.
We offer free shipping for:
UK orders over £200
European orders over £250
• We will be happy to offer a full refund (excluding shipping) on items returned within 14 days of receipt of delivery.
• Returned items must be unworn, unwashed and undamaged products purchased directly from ISHKAR.com.
• Proof of purchase is required.
• For defective, damaged or incorrect items, please notify us within five days of delivery in order to receive a refund/exchange.
• Email us at email@example.com to organise the return.
If an item is out of stock you are able to preorder the item, so that you're first in line when it's back. Once you have preordered an item the order should be shipped to you within three months. Often the order will arrive well within this three month period. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more accurate information on when orders for this product are likely to be ready.
MEET KHALED AND HIS FAMILY
The lanterns are crafted by Khaled Yahya and his family in the old city of Sana’a. Each member of Khaled’s family takes on a different role in production, from designing the base, melding it, stitching the cloth and polishing the brass. Khaled has been making lanterns for 19 years, it is a craft he learnt from his parents. The craft is now under threat due to the conflict, which has seen the price of raw materials increase and demand from customers decrease.
We designed these lanterns in collaboration with the artisans at Yemen Journey. The brass base and top are an adaption of the traditional Yemeni lantern design which tend to have solid bases, whereas these ones have carved shapes creating interesting shapes when the light shines through. The geometric and lunar patterns are inspired by the elaborately designed, colourful metal doors that decorate the old city of Sana’a.
Yemeni lanterns are traditionally used as interior decoration, in particular they are hung in the mafraj or diwaan rooms. They also look beautiful hanging from trees or across lines in gardens and courtyards. Please use them with caution if using a candle in windier weather.