Online sensation Karl reMarks disagreed with the idea that reality had become too strange to satirise. Then he read that bin Laden was radicalised by Shakespeare. Since then, Karl has been bringing the best of the Middle East news and views to his followers around the world.
Now Karl’s wildly wry observations and sketches are available in one handy collection. With sections on ‘Geography for Dummies’, ‘Democracy for Realists’ and ‘Extremism: A Study’, alongside the best of Karl reMarks’s infamous ‘Bar Jokes’, this hilarious book proudly presents views you’re guaranteed not to hear on the news…
"Side-splittingly funny" - The Economist
- Publisher: Saqi Books
- July 2018
- Paperback 128pp
‘A hilarious little flip-book filled with [Sharro’s] short musings and amusing drawings on the state of Middle East chaos. … perfect for the coffee table or for bathroom flipping … guaranteed to make you chuckle’ - Jerusalem Post
‘An acerbically wicked collection of sharp geo- and sociopolitical commentary … droll, smart, witty’ - Media Diversifed
‘Satire is only funny if it’s partially true. This book is hilarious. Need I say more? ... Absolutely recommended reading.’ - Eyes on World Cultures
‘One of the funniest yet politically insightful works I have seen in a while … This little book is also important to show that Twitter is not a new communication tool but a new medium that shapes our way of thinking and expressing.’ - Ece Temelkuran
'Side-splittingly funny' - The Economist
We will aim to dispatch orders within 2-3 working days of purchase date but please be aware that we are a small team and delays can occur. We offer a single flat rate shipping option: tracked shipping with Royal Mail.
* For addresses in the UK, estimate shipping time is 2-3 business days.
* International shipping is available to all destinations. For all addresses outside the UK, estimate shipping time is 5-12 business days.
* ISHKAR is not responsible for customs duties or taxes on EU/international shipments, nor is it responsible for delays associated with the import process.
We offer free shipping for:
UK orders over £200
European orders over £250
*Extended returns policy - Orders made from December the 1st can be returned until January the 5th.*
We will be happy to offer a full refund (excluding shipping) on items returned within 14 days of receipt of delivery.
• Returned items must be unworn, unwashed and undamaged products purchased directly from ISHKAR.com.
• Proof of purchase is required.
• Photography prints are printed to order and are therefore not refundable.
• For defective, damaged or incorrect items, please notify us within five days of delivery in order to receive a refund/exchange.
• Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to organise the return.
If an item is out of stock you are able to preorder the item, so that you're first in line when it's back. Once you have preordered an item the order should be shipped to you within three months. Often the order will arrive well within this three month period. Contact email@example.com for more accurate information on when orders for this product are likely to be ready.
Karl reMarks is a Middle East political and cultural online commentary with frequent forays into satire. It is written by Karl Sharro, whose work has been featured in the BBC, Al-Jazeera, The Economist, Ted-X Talks, Wall Street Journal and Guardian among others. In 2016 Karl’s video, ‘the simple one-sentence explanation for what caused Isis,’ went viral, with 1.6 million views on Facebook alone. Alongside his role as a satirist and commentator on the Middle East, Karl has practised architecture in London and Beirut.