These joyful multi-layered cotton face masks are reusable coming with a filter pocket and nose wire. They are handcrafted by artisans in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Each mask is embroidered with the text ‘It’s what’s on the inside that counts’ and comes with its own handmade drawstring storage pouch.
Please note that colour and pattern may vary slightly.
These face masks are designed to help combat the spread of COVID 19 but they are not intended for clinical use. Wash before and between uses.
Tumble dry at a low temperature
We offer a single flat rate shipping option: tracked shipping with Royal Mail.
* For addresses in the UK, tracked postage takes 2-3 business days.
* International shipping is available to all destinations. For Europe estimated delivery is 3-5 business days, and for the rest of the world 5-12 business days.
* ISHKAR is not responsible for customs duties or taxes on international shipments, nor is it responsible for delays associated with the import process.
We offer free shipping for:
UK orders over £150
European orders over €180
Rest of the world orders over $240
• We will be happy to offer a full refund (excluding shipping) on items returned within 14 days of receipt of delivery.
• Returned items must be unworn, unwashed and undamaged products purchased directly from ISHKAR.com.
• Proof of purchase is required.
• For defective, damaged or incorrect items, please notify us within five days of delivery in order to receive a refund/exchange.
• Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to organise the return.
With its striking decorative patterns and hard wearing quality, Somalia’s traditional Alindi fabric was once a prized commodity across North Eastern Africa. The future of this unique craft is now at risk. Cheap, factory-made, textiles have flooded the local market, putting traditional weavers out of jobs. There are now only a couple of weavers left in Mogadishu that produce Alindi fabrics.
Every meter bought from these people counts. It's an encouragement to keep the tradition and the weavers alive!
Benadiri brothers is a small non-profit group from Hamar district. Unlike most Somalis who are nomadic, the Benadir people have a long history as urbanized merchants and artisans. Since the COVID-19 outbreak, they have been producing facemasks on a small scale. The work involves the founder and 3 women tailors. As the project develops we hope to employ more artisans.
PEACE MASK PROJECT
The Peace Masks Project aims to combat the shared threat of COVID-19 and provide livelihoods to those living and working in conflict affected areas. The project forms part of a larger effort by the Peace Dividend Initiative to help ease tensions in conflict-affected areas by identifying and facilitating key peace-supporting economic opportunities and encouraging cooperation.
Peace Masks not only provide livelihoods for communities affected by conflict and violence, but weave peace into the fabric of these fragile communities by connecting them in a productive process that boosts co-existence and reconciliation and helps soothe grievances.
For this project, PDI has partnered with ISHKAR, who sell to an international market, building “peace value chains” and delivering livelihoods to at risk populations.