These ecru or indigo place mats are crafted from 100% natural Egyptian linen in Cairo. Each one has been hand printed and finished with a delicate ajour border.
Each mat comes beautifully packed in an embroidered cotton bag. Pair them with our Lapis glassware, or matching coasters, for an extra special gift.
Size: 45cm x 32cm
Free UK shipping on orders over £150
Free shipping to Europe on orders over €180
Free Shipping to US & Rest of world over $240
Each coaster measures: 12cm x 12cm
Machine wash at 30°C. Wash similar colours together, using colour-safe detergent for coloured items. Do not soak, remove promptly from the washing machine and tumble dryer. Reshape and iron while damp.
100% Egyptian Linen
We offer a single flat rate shipping option: tracked shipping with Royal Mail.
* For addresses in the UK, tracked postage takes 2-3 business days.
* International shipping is available to all destinations. For Europe estimated delivery is 3-5 business days, and for the rest of the world 5-12 business days.
* ISHKAR is not responsible for customs duties or taxes on international shipments, nor is it responsible for delays associated with the import process.
We offer free shipping for:
UK orders over £150
European orders over €180
Rest of the world orders over $240
• We will be happy to offer a full refund (excluding shipping) on items returned within 14 days of receipt of delivery.
• Returned items must be unworn, unwashed and undamaged products purchased directly from ISHKAR.com.
• Proof of purchase is required.
• For defective, damaged or incorrect items, please notify us within five days of delivery in order to receive a refund/exchange.
• Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to organise the return.
If an item is out of stock you are able to preorder the item, so that you're first in line when its back. Once you have preordered an item we guarantee the order to be shipped to you within four months. If the item is delivered outside this window we will provide you with your money back. Often the order will arrive well within this four month period. Contact email@example.com for more accurate information on when orders for this product are likely to be ready.
Our collection with Malaika pays homage to Lapis Lazuli's long history of being traded from the mountains of Afghanistan to the palaces of Egypt. The scarceness of Lapis - and the purity of its natural blue - made Lapis a priceless commodity right up until the 19th century. The ancient Egyptians were obsessed with it; powdering it into eye shadow for Cleopatra, and using it to decorate the funeral masks of Pharoahs.
This collection combines two traditional techniques: silkscreen printing & ajour embroidery. The Lapis tumbler stain is first drawn, the vibrant blue pigment is mixed, a wooden frame is crafted and finally the design is hand printed using a silk screen onto the linen. The pieces are finished with an elaborate ajour stitch border. It is meticulous work which involves cutting and pulling individual threads to create intricate patterns.
Each single place mat takes 6 hours of work to the artisans at Malaika's atelier in Cairo. As well as providing employment, Malaika’s embroidery school trains hundreds of people in vulnerable positions, providing them with the skills required to be self-employed and work from home on commissions for Malaika.