These ecru and indigo placemats are crafted from 100% natural Egyptian linen in Cairo. Each one has been hand printed and finished with a delicate ajour border.
Each mat comes beautifully packed in an embroidered cotton bag. Pair them with our Lapis glassware, or matching coasters, for an extra special gift.
Size: 45cm x 32cm
Free UK shipping on orders over £200
Free shipping to Europe on orders over £250/€290
Each coaster measures: 12cm x 12cm
Machine wash at 30°C. Wash similar colours together, using colour-safe detergent for coloured items. Do not soak, remove promptly from the washing machine and tumble dryer. Reshape and iron while damp.
100% Egyptian Linen
We will aim to dispatch orders within 2-3 working days of purchase date but please be aware that we are a small team and delays can occur. We offer a single flat rate shipping option: tracked shipping with Royal Mail.
* For addresses in the UK, estimate shipping time is 2-3 business days.
* International shipping is available to all destinations. For all addresses outside the UK, estimate shipping time is 5-12 business days.
* ISHKAR is not responsible for customs duties or taxes on EU/international shipments, nor is it responsible for delays associated with the import process.
We offer free shipping for:
UK orders over £200
European orders over £250
*Extended returns policy - Orders made from December the 1st can be returned until January the 5th.*
We will be happy to offer a full refund (excluding shipping) on items returned within 14 days of receipt of delivery.
• Returned items must be unworn, unwashed and undamaged products purchased directly from ISHKAR.com.
• Proof of purchase is required.
• Photography prints are printed to order and are therefore not refundable.
• For defective, damaged or incorrect items, please notify us within five days of delivery in order to receive a refund/exchange.
• Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to organise the return.
If an item is out of stock you are able to preorder the item, so that you're first in line when it's back. Once you have preordered an item the order should be shipped to you within three months. Often the order will arrive well within this three month period. Contact email@example.com for more accurate information on when orders for this product are likely to be ready.
Our collection with Malaika pays homage to Lapis Lazuli's long history of being traded from the mountains of Afghanistan to the palaces of Egypt. The scarceness of Lapis - and the purity of its natural blue - made Lapis a priceless commodity right up until the 19th century. The ancient Egyptians were obsessed with it; powdering it into eye shadow for Cleopatra, and using it to decorate the funeral masks of Pharoahs.
This collection combines two traditional techniques: silkscreen printing & ajour embroidery. The Lapis tumbler stain is first drawn, the vibrant blue pigment is mixed, a wooden frame is crafted and finally the design is hand printed using a silk screen onto the linen. The pieces are finished with an elaborate ajour stitch border. It is meticulous work which involves cutting and pulling individual threads to create intricate patterns.
Each single place mat takes 6 hours of work to the artisans at Malaika's atelier in Cairo. As well as providing employment, Malaika’s embroidery school trains hundreds of people in vulnerable positions, providing them with the skills required to be self-employed and work from home on commissions for Malaika.