We collaborated with CHOOSE LOVE to create these joyful handwoven carpets to raise money for CHOOSE LOVE’s critical work supporting vulnerable individuals who have been forced to flee their homes because of war, persecution & climate change.
Each carpet is handmade to order by weavers in Afghanistan. Please email email@example.com for more information.
Size: 140cm x 200cm
Each carpet is made to order and takes approximately 3 months to produce.
• Vacuum rugs lightly
• Avoid direct and prolonged sunlight exposure
• Do not treat with stain products
• If a stain occurs, act quickly preventing it from drying
Tips for cleaning the most common household stains:
• The most important thing is to act quickly before the stain dries.
• If the stain was caused by liquid, use paper towels to absorb. Work gently from the edges toward the center, so the problem area does not expand.
• For wine, coffee and tea, try to absorb as quickly as possible. Then apply a solution of warm water, detergent and white vinegar with a damp sponge. Wipe with clean cloth and let dry. If the stain persists, have it professionally cleaned.
• For spots of oil, chocolate, lipstick, nail polish, or ink: scrub – then soak – as much of the stain as possible with a white cloth or paper towel. Clean the rug professionally. Professional dry cleaning is always the best option for stubborn or dried stains.
Once the carpet is completed the rug will shipped directly to your door. Shipping prices will be included in the price of your order.
- We will be happy to offer a full refund (excluding shipping) on items returned within 30 days of receipt of delivery for customers within Europe.
- Returned items must be unworn, unwashed and undamaged products purchased directly from ISHKAR.com.
- Proof of purchase is required.
- For defective, damaged or incorrect items, please notify us within five days of delivery in order to receive a refund/exchange.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to organise the return.
If an item is out of stock you are able to preorder the item, so that you're first in line when it's back. Once you have preordered an item the order should be shipped to you within three months. Often the order will arrive well within this three month period. Contact email@example.com for more accurate information on when orders for this product are likely to be ready.
All profits from these carpets go directly to CHOOSE LOVE’s projects: The Orange House - Za'atar in Greece, The Refugee Women’s Centre in France and Unity Sisters in the UK. The amount remaining after production is £1143 (over 50%) per carpet, this will be spent on whatever is most necessary from providing legal or livelihood support to bare essentials for women living in refuge. Read more about CHOOSE LOVE’s projects here.
Beyond supporting CHOOSE LOVE’s projects, your purchase provides fair-wages for the weavers who produced the carpets, many of whom have become displaced within Afghanistan.
The carpet's design is rooted in CHOOSE LOVE’s powerful message that ‘Love has no borders’ depicted in calligraphic representations of ‘Love’ in Bengali, Chechen, Malayam, Burmese, Amaharic, Arabic and Kyrgrz woven together together in an abstract form, designed by Eman Ruhail for ISHKAR.
"We do not want to fuel victimisation or dehumanisation via the messages we spread. Instead we promote positivity and trigger conversation about the circumstances of refugees, via beautiful, joyful objects " - Philli Boyle, Head of Partnerships CHOOSE LOVE
Each carpet is hand-knotted, taking two weavers approximately three months to make. Carpet weaving is at the heart of Afghanistan’s heritage but four decades of conflict have isolated the artisans from the rest of the world. Many of the weavers who made these carpets grew up as refugees in Pakistan and Iran, while others are internally displaced within Afghanistan.
We partner with NGOs on the ground to ensure a comprehensive set of fair trade standards, including good working and living conditions, fair wages, the prohibition of child labour, and environmentally friendly production.
Unlike many rugs that come from Afghanistan, each of our rugs is 100% produced within the country, from weaving through to finishing (see video for more details!). This means that Afghanistan's artisans capture more value for their work.
The carpets are hand-knotted using Ghazni wool, a variety of wool unique to Afghanistan known for its luxuriant finish as well as its unique way of absorbing colour which gives the carpets Abrash - the technical term used to describe the mottled effect given by each strand of wool's subtle variation of colour.